Some of the Questions we asked to compile the report card
1. Does the Council have a Vegetation map
2. Conservation planning
- Is the level and detail of the map good enough to use for planning (ie does it show
small fragments of remnant vegetation as well as more substantial areas) ?
3. Zones for Conservation
- Does the Council Policies/Strategic Plan contain Green Space provisions (ie wildlife
corridors; waterways, significant remnant vegetation constraints; scenic constraints) ?
- Do remnant areas have management plans developed ?
4. Vegetation Protection Ordinances/ Clearing Controls
- Does the Town Plan/ Strategic Plan have a zones for conservation
- Riparian conservation zones ?
- Remnant vegetation conservation zones ?
- Have other zoning's been modified to take into account environmental constraints (ie do other zones have an override clause to enable protection of environment) ?
5. Levy/Fund for buying Bushland
- What policies are in place ?
- Are they being implemented ?
- Are they enforceable ?
- Are they working ?
- What type of mechanism is used for protection is it a blanket protection measure or does it rely on piecemeal nominations ? Does it contain measures for interim protection orders ?
6. Public Involvement
- Is there one established ?
- Is the money sufficient ?
- Are they actually buying bush (as opposed to funding the wages of environment staff) ?
- Is it targeted correctly (ie to the most significant habitats rather than the easiest to purchase) ?
7. Agreements With Land holders
- Is there a community advisory committee to help council prioritise environmental activities ?
- Does the Council help fund the employment of a Greening Australia officer in the region ?
- Does the Council provide funding or in kind support for community projects/groups involved in vegetation protection or rehabilitation ?
8. Free Trees
- Is there a local law enabling various levels of conservation agreements with land holders ?
- Does the council provide funding rate rebates, or other incentives, to enable private land holders to better manage conservation areas on private land ?
- Does the council have a free trees program ?
For More Information
|Michael Petter|| |
|Convenor Brisbane||07 3899 0537|
|Region Environment Centre|
The Green Card.
The Green Card press release.
Email the Webmaster
Page by Tim & Chani